So You Want To Study In The USA

So You Want To Study In The USA
In case you've decided that you would like to pursue your college studies in the united states, then you are probably filled with questions regarding degrees and majors. Well, you aren't alone. Thus, allow me to tell you a bit more regarding the US higher education system and admissions process.
College vs. University
Colleges and universities are essentially the same thing. The most important difference is that college refers to an institute of higher education that offers a 4-year level (freshman levels) while universities also offer graduate degrees including Master degrees and PhDs. Colleges also refer to Community Colleges, which only offer you 2-year degrees (Associate levels) and permit students to take general classes before transferring to 4-year schools and universities.
Bachelor, Master, PhD
Bachelor degrees are 4-year levels that focus on a couple of academic fields. Bachelor degrees are often divided in two classes: Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science. Bachelor of Arts degrees usually concentrate on liberal arts and humanities fields while Bachelor of Science levels usually revolve around science, engineering, technology and business subjects. To be able to acquire a bachelor degree, you must pick a major. A major is the academic discipline which you want to study. For example: English, Electrical Engineering, Finance, Biology, Psychology, Philosophy, International Relations, etc.. Some universities also require you to choose a minor. A minor is an optional academic discipline you'll be able to study in addition to your major. A minor shouldn't require as much effort or time as your important, and it usually requires only a couple courses. Colleges and universities in the united states provide many different majors and minors you may pick.
Among the most important differences between the US higher education system and those from other nations is that pupils in the US must take a number of courses in addition to their major classes. Most students will have to study English, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies and Humanities no matter their major and small. For instance, Business majors must take English Literature or Art Appreciation as part of their overall requirements along with their company courses, in the same way English majors need to take Algebra and Biology within their needs. This permits you to be a richer and well-rounded individual ready to present your input in a number of subjects.
Master levels are graduate levels, which last 2 or more years, in which you can further focus and specialize in the specialty of your choice. You can concentrate on a different field than the one you concentrated on during your undergraduate education (Bachelor's). Several pupils change their minds in their career after graduation and go on to find a master's degree in the field of their choice. In actuality, many liberal arts graduates choose to go for an MBA after a couple of years of experience in the corporate world, and some engineering and science graduates choose to go for master degrees in education later acquiring a passion for the education world. Master degrees not only allow you to switch professions, they also give you several benefits including more discipline expertise, a wider professional community, credibility and more and better job opportunities.
To put it differently, these degrees essentially focus on preparing university professors and professional researchers. Research and publications are the chief aims of this field, and students must be ready to dedicate several hours to a particular area of research. PhD applications can last an average of 4 to 7 years. Students usually attend classes for the first couple of years and focus on preparing their dissertation for the remaining years. A master degree isn't a requirement for the PhD, but a lot of universities favor students who have completed graduate studies in their field. Medical Doctor (MD) and Juris Doctor (JD) are specialist levels for students interested in getting physicians and lawyers respectively.
Entry Requirements
Bachelor Degrees: Entry into a BS or BA program demands that you have a High School degree or its equivalent. International Pupils who come in non-English speaking countries must also take the TOEFL examination.
Master Degrees: Entry to a MS or MA program requires that you have a Bachelor degree or its equivalent. Depending upon the application, you'll also need to take the GRE exam or GMAT exam (such as MBA and Business faculty applicants). TOEFL scores will be required from international students who come from non-English speaking states.
GRE or GMAT test scores will also be required. TOEFL scores will be required from international students who come in non-English speaking countries.


Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: