New Zealand Schooling Visa

If you are looking to study in New Zealand and intend to live here full time, you need a student visa. You can apply for a student visa from 120 days before the start date of your program or course.

A student visa is valid for up to 4 years. It may be extended if you complete your studies and apply for a post-study work visa.

Your visa will say what course you are studying and whether it is full-time or part-time. You can also do work during your course.

You can work part-time up to 20 hours a week while you are studying and part-time during holidays, depending on your visa. You can also work during Christmas and New Year holiday periods, if this is allowed by your visa.


If you are a fee paying student (excluding students who receive New Zealand Aid Programme support), you need to have insurance to cover your stay in New Zealand, including medical and travel. Many education providers can arrange this for you.

Proof of your finances

You will need to show that you have sufficient funds to pay your tuition fees and living costs while you are in New Zealand. This can include evidence of loan coverage, scholarship or other funds.

Proof of your health

If you are studying for a long period, you will need to provide a Chest X-Ray certificate from one of Immigration New Zealand’s approved panel physicians. This is usually required if you are from a country with a high incidence of tuberculosis, or if you have spent more than three months outside your home country in the past five years.


%d bloggers like this: