Financial Aid For Study Abroad

financial aid for study abroad

There are a variety of financial aid opportunities available to students studying abroad. These include federal grants and loans, private sector scholarships, and other funding sources. However, there is no guarantee that any of these aid options will cover all of your costs abroad.

In most cases, federal and University financial aid awards will be calculated for the term you are studying abroad in the same way that they would be if you were enrolled at Columbia for the full academic year. Therefore, you should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as though you were a regular-year student to receive aid that will be applied for the term you are abroad.

If you have been awarded Direct Student Loans or Parent PLUS loans, the funds may be released to you directly to pay for your program. You must complete a Verification of Enrollment form and submit it to the Office of Student Financial Services before any money is released.

You will need to work with EA, the Office of Financial Aid, and Niner Central in order to get all the required paperwork for your study abroad program to be processed and disbursed to you in a timely manner. Be sure to be fully engaged in the process from beginning to end.

If you are taking a semester/year, summer-non faculty-led or short-term faculty-led program, visit the International Student Exchange and Study Abroad Department in the Office of International Education and Development before you go abroad to ensure that all the necessary documentation is received by the Office of Student Financial Aid. This will allow the Office of Student Financial Aid to calculate and award your financial aid accordingly.


%d bloggers like this: