If you’re thinking of studying abroad, it is essential to start planning ahead. This includes selecting where you will study, researching the ideal program for your requirements and making sure all necessary documentation is obtained before departing.
Before you embark on your travels, get to know the culture of your host country. Learn the language, discover local customs and regulations, and familiarize yourself with different food varieties – this will help minimize cultural shock and make for a more enjoyable experience!
Preparing a study abroad checklist can be an invaluable resource for students preparing to leave their home country and embark on an exciting new journey. This list will guide you through every step of the process, from selecting a destination to packing your bags and settling in.
1. Packing Checklists and Essentials
Students who study abroad often make the mistake of leaving their possessions behind at home or bringing too much back with them. This is especially true when staying abroad for an extended period, such as a year or more. This mistake should be avoided at all costs!
To avoid this, create a study abroad packing checklist and ensure all of your belongings are securely packed. Doing this will prevent you from purchasing unnecessary items or carrying too much weight around with you.
2. Health: Before you depart, ensure your passport is valid for at least 6 months after your studies end and all medical and travel insurance paperwork is in order. Having this information can save time, money and stress while abroad!
3. Transportation: Before you embark on your trip, familiarize yourself with the various modes of transportation available in your destination city. This will give you peace of mind as you explore the city and guarantee that your daily commute runs smoothly!
4. Accommodation: Before you depart, create a plan for where you’ll stay during your trip. This will guarantee that your living space is conducive to studying and will enable you to become familiar with the area quickly.
5. Activities: Before you embark on your new country, brainstorm what activities you would like to engage in. From volunteering, painting classes, and working as a daycare worker, there are plenty of options that will allow you to make the most of your time and experience while abroad.
6. Travel: Before leaving home, ensure you have your passport, travel insurance and other essential documents in order. Doing this helps avoid any hassles during airport security checks or other inconveniences while abroad.
7. Arrival: Prior to departing, attend orientations and arrival meetings at your program in order to become familiar with the environment. This also gives you a chance to connect with new people, get acquainted with classmates and teachers, etc.
8. Transportation: Before leaving, create a plan of where and when you’ll travel to and from your destination. This will guarantee an organized journey with minimal stress, making the most of every moment of your vacation.